Thursday, February 2, 2012

I AM Smart Enough to Homeschool


One thing that I have learned in my short time homeschooling, is that everyone has an opinion about it.  I wouldn't say that people have been intentionally rude, but they just do not understand what homeschooling is all about and how amazing it is!!  We have been made to believe by society and the government that public school is the best option, only option and that the system works... hmmm, well it should work... but it doesn't.

But let's save that conversation for another post... I want to focus on the opinions made by others that as parents, we are NOT "smart" enough or "qualified" enough to teach our children at home.  I have been grilled time and time again on what kind of curriculum I use, how do I teach without training, how long do I plan on homeschooling, how are my kids socializing during the day, don't I need/want a break from my kids... but is killer is, "Well, eventually you are going to have to send them to school, you won't be able to teach them middle school and high school."

Um, excuse me??

When people tell me that I am NOT going to be able to teach my kids 6th-12th grade, that offends me... they are saying in a polite way that they do not think I am smart enough to teach grades that I have ALREADY successfully passed.  Furthermore, I have a Bachelors Degree in Political Science and English... people don't think that a parent who has four years of higher education would have enough "smarts" to teach their own child at home?

It is so sad because many parents choose not to homeschool based on the fact that they are worried they are not smart enough... I have one message for them, YOU ARE!!  If you have the motivation to see and help your child be the best they can be, you are the most qualified person that there is!!  Just remember, no one cares about your child and their education more than you do... the government and  school system has failed our country, our communities and our children.  It is our rights as parents to guide and teach them, no matter if we have a teaching degree or not!

To be honest, I am so excited to teach my boys secondary education!!  I feel the subject matter and curriculum will be a wonderful challenge for them and I am not worried one bit that I won't be able to teach them successfully all the way through 12th grade.

‎"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." ~ Alice Walker
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...