Monday, February 14, 2011

Why do Breastfeeding Mom's Act Superior??


Me bottle feeding Brockie

I know my children are beyond the age of being breastfed, but I feel like I need to address my opinion on this topic.

I did NOT breastfeed either one of my children, though I did pump breast milk for both of them for 4 weeks before I started using formula full-time. I tried so hard with both of them, but neither one would latch on. With Landon, I cried for days feeling like a failure.... I was tired, hormonal, overwhelmed and Brady just looked at me and said, "there is nothing wrong with formula." I was like, you are right... I need to be a strong mommy and move on. When the same thing happened with Brock, I was much more confident in my decision to pump what I could and start him on formula.

I think that breastfeeding IS beautiful and the healthiest thing for your child... no one would argue that. The thing that I just can not stand is when mothers who do/did breastfeed act superior to those who don't... not all do, but most.

I hear over and over again moms say that they have a "better" bond with their child because they breastfed and I totally DISAGREE with that. Anyone who knows my sons and I, know that we are incredibly close and have an amazing bond. Just because one feeds from the breast, does not make them automatically "closer" to their mother, that is something that will build over time as the child grows. You also have to be a loving, loyal mom for that bond to solidify.

Both of my sons have been completely healthy since birth. Landon is one of the best students in his class, both socially and academically. Brock is extremely sharp and catches on quick to anything you show him. They are very loving towards Brady and I. I could go on and on, but I think the point has been made.

I feel whatever form of feeding your choose for your baby is wonderful... the main thing is, you are feeding them!!

The boy's nurse told me, "On the first day of kindergarten, you will never know who was breastfed and who wasn't... they will all look and act the same."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...