Friday, March 4, 2011

Cherish the one you love

I attended the funeral of my great-aunt today. She was 85 years old and a wonderful woman. I was fortunate enough to be brought up close to both of my parent's aunts & uncles and I am so thankful to have had them all in my life.

When I got to the funeral today I saw my great-uncle up by her casket greeting people. He looked so sad, weak and shaken... my heart sank. He had found his beloved wife passed away in the bed in the morning when he woke up... it was sudden and unexpected. After 65 years of marriage, he was now alone.

Imagine, being with the love of your life for 65 years. Have children together... grandchildren... great-grandchildren. Traveling the world together. Doing the things you love... together. Then you wake up one morning and they are gone forever. I don't think that it matters how old you are or how long you have been together with the love of your life, it has to be the hardest thing in the world to lose them.

When I got up to the casket, I gave him the biggest hug and told him how sorry I was about his loss... I told him what a wonderful woman she was. I didn't need to tell him that, he already knew, but it was the only thing that I could get out. I could feel his sadness from where I stood. The lost look in his eyes... I can't even begin to imagine the pain he was in.

Today made me really realize that life is so short and that you need to love your husband or wife to the fullest everyday!! Don't sweat the small stuff, let them know how much you love them and what you love about them. Enjoy your children together. Spend alone time together. Respect each other and be kind. Most of all, don't ever forget what made you fall in love with them.

I can only pray that Brady and I are as fortunate as my great-uncle and aunt and have another 60 years together.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...